Our measurement research
Our world-leading research addresses the themes of wellbeing, and sustainability and encourages prosperity and productivity for the benefit of the UK. We work closely with our stakeholders to address and support some of the biggest challenges of our time, including food sustainability, climate change, and healthcare issues (e.g. diagnosis and/or therapeutics of neurodegenerative diseases, infectious diseases).
Our core research involves performing high accuracy measurements with known uncertainties. We play a leading role in standardisation of measurements across the world so that, for example, a medical test result obtained in London can be compared directly with test results from hospitals in Sydney, Seattle or Shanghai.
We provide traceability for routine chemical and bio-measurements within the UK in order to support comparison of measurement results between laboratories, product development and help current regulation. We provide standardisation and traceability through the development of reference methods and materials.
Our novel research programmes advance emerging areas of measurement science and underpin developing regulation. We address real-world challenges and encourage innovation for the benefit of our stakeholders and customers.
- improving current clinical diagnostics and technology transfer
- supporting the development of future diagnostics, including precision medicine and point of care testing
- improving the safety and efficacy of (bio)pharmaceuticals
- improving the safety and efficacy of advanced therapy medicinal products (ATMPs)
Safety and security
- food authenticity and safety
- environmental protection
- renewable resources
- forensic science and border control
- consumer safety