National Measurement Laboratory supports new Life Science Sector Deal
06 Dec 2018
The National Measurement Laboratory (NML), hosted at LGC, welcomes yesterday’s announcement of the UK government’s second Life Sciences Sector Deal
Thanks to sustained investment from both government and the private sector investment, the Life Sciences sector within the UK continues to develop into a leading global hub.
Julian Braybrook, Director of Measurement and Government Chemist said: “We are pleased to see government’s ongoing commitment with this second Deal to work more closely with industry, charities, universities and the NHS and further develop an ecosystem that will help life sciences thrive in the UK.”
In particular, we welcome:
- the progress made developing and expanding the advanced therapy infrastructure within the UK to support medicines manufacturing and the significant industry investment that has resulted
- government’s commitment to innovative and forward-thinking regulation that will support investment in and adoption of novel advanced therapy and precision medicine treatments
- collaborative programmes between the NHS and innovation partners
- the investment in developing a Life Sciences 2030 Skills Strategy in collaboration with trade association partners
- the significant investment in a new ISCF initiative enabling the development of early detection and diagnosis of diseases.
The development of robust measurement frameworks put forward by the NML will support efforts in the Life Sciences sectors by underpinning the technological developments and providing confidence in these novel approaches for industry, regulators and the wider public. In addition, our contribution will enable the informed setting of standards and assist the development of appropriate and fit for purpose regulation for emerging technologies.