Anti-doping and medication control
Since 1963 we have been carrying out pioneering research and development work that has contributed to the regulations which underpin the Rules of Racing and ensure the welfare of racehorses. We also assist other equestrian regulatory bodies from show jumping and dressage to harness racing. Our testing procedures are constantly evolving to meet new threats to the integrity of horseracing and equestrian sport and the welfare of the horses and riders. We work to exacting standards and quality assurance processes for every test we carry out.
Drug surveillance in greyhound racing
Applying the equine testing and research experience, we have a history of supporting the sport of greyhound racing, testing samples for a comprehensive range of prohibited substances thereby helping to protect the integrity of the sport and the welfare of the greyhounds. We have a track record of constantly improving our greyhound-specific testing and research services, and constantly evolve our testing procedures.
Our services include:
- Urine, blood and hair screening analysis – comprehensive drug screening which detects all the major groups of prohibited substance including anabolic agents, stimulants, narcotics, sedatives and elemental analysis. The screening protocol can be adapted to the individual needs, but may consist of the following techniques:
- Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
- Gas chromatography linked to mass spectrometry (GCMS)
- Liquid chromatography linked to high resolution accurate mass spectrometry (LCHRMS)
- Liquid chromatography linked to mass spectrometry (LCMS).
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICPMS)
- Target Screening - bespoke targeted screening analysis is possible for many additional compounds such as proteins and peptides.
- Confirmatory analysis – samples with suspicious screening test results are re-analysed using a fresh portion of the sample. An optimised confirmatory test, using internationally accepted scientific techniques, produces scientific evidence based on the unique molecular structure of a prohibited substance. Our senior scientists provide expert support and testimony if required and our case files are fully documented to provide results you can trust.
- Science and management – our laboratory is equipped with the latest state-of-the-art equipment and our scientists who know exactly how to use it.
The laboratory’s screening and confirmatory tests have been accredited to the International Standard for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (ISO17025) since 1992. This involves an annual audit inspection by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) and provides customers with an independent validation of the laboratory Quality System.