National Reference Laboratories
LGC acts as a National Reference Laboratory under retained Regulation (EC) No 2017/625. This regulation covers official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and food law, animal health and animal welfare rules. This regulation refers to the establishment of National Reference laboratories (NRL) who co-ordinate activities within their own member state.
The duties of these laboratories are set out in the legislation but their principal role is to provide analytical and scientific support to ensure that food and feed control is carried out effectively and in a harmonised manner.
National Reference Laboratories are nominated by the relevant competent authorities. In the UK, these are the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
LGC is the UK National Reference laboratory for the following areas:
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food and feed
- Added water in poultry
- Feed Additives – Authorisation
- Feed Additives – Control
NRL Newsletters and Reports
- NRL Newsletter September 2013
- NRL Newsletter Summer 2014
- NRL Newsletter Spring 2015
- NRL Newsletter Summer 2016
- NRL Newsletter Winter 2017 - 2018
- NRL Annual Report April 2013 – March 2014
- NRL Annual Report April 2014 – March 2015
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2015 – March 2016
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2016 – March 2017
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2017 – March 2018
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2018 – March 2019
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2019 – March 2020
- Feed Additives NRL Annual Report 2018 – 2019