National Reference Laboratories
LGC acts as a National Reference Laboratory under Regulation (EC) No 882/2004. This regulation covers official controls performed to ensure the verification of compliance with feed and food law, animal health and animal welfare rules, and establishes a network of European and National Reference laboratories. In each area of food and feed control, a European Reference laboratory (EURL) is identified to coordinate activities in this area. They are supported by a network of National Reference laboratories (NRL) who co-ordinate activities within their own member state and contribute to the European wide activities.
The duties of these laboratories are set out in the legislation but their principal role is to provide analytical and scientific support to ensure that food and feed control is carried out effectively and in a harmonised manner, across the EU member states. The EURL’s are listed in Regulation (EC) 882/2004 and amending legislation.
National Reference Laboratories are nominated by the competent authorities in each Member state. In the UK, these are the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
LGC is currently the UK National Reference laboratory for the following areas:
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food and feed
- Added water in poultry
- Feed Additives – Authorisation
- Feed Additives – Control
- Chemical Elements in Food of Animal Origin
- Mycotoxins in Food of Animal Origin
NRL Newsletters and Reports
- NRL Newsletter September 2013
- NRL Newsletter Summer 2014
- NRL Newsletter Spring 2015
- NRL Newsletter Summer 2016
- NRL Newsletter Winter 2017 - 2018
- NRL Annual Report April 2013 – March 2014
- NRL Annual Report April 2014 – March 2015
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2015 – March 2016
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2016 – March 2017
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2017 – March 2018
- GMO NRL Annual Report April 2018 – March 2019
- Feed Additives NRL Annual Report 2018 – 2019