Organic chemical analysis
Through the breadth of scientific knowledge within our team, and access to an unrivalled collection of state-of-the-art equipment, we are able to undertake a broad scope of organic chemical analysis.
We are responsible for the certification of reference materials, the development and validation of analytical methods delivering results traceable to the International System of Units (SI), and the provision of high accuracy measurement services.
With UKAS 'calibration laboratory' accreditation, we characterise pure materials (purity and liquefaction point) with well characterised measurement uncertainties.
We also provide impurity profiling including isolation, identification and quantitation of organic impurities. These pure materials are then used to allow quantification of a wide range of analytes in complex matrices down to sub part per million levels for the generation of reference materials for our industrial and institutional clients.
We handle materials covering a wide range of applications, which include:
- clinical diagnosis e.g. proteins and pharmaceuticals in body fluids
- food safety e.g. allergens and pesticides in food
- environmental e.g. pesticides in groundwater
- regulatory e.g. alcohol standards.
We employ a wide range of analytical instrumentation including chromatographic, thermal, titrimetric, spectroscopic and mass spectrometric methodologies to provide the highest standards of measurement services.
We have the following instrumentation:
- Apex III 47 Fourier Transform Mass Spectrometer (Bruker)
- Apex R III 47E Mass Spectrometer (Bruker)
- HP 5890 Series II Gas Chromatograph
- Finnigan MAT GC Combustion interface
- ITD Ion Trap detector (Perkin Elmer)
- API 4000 Q-trap LC/MS/MS system (ABI)
- Quattro Ultima 1 Liquid Chromatography MS(Micromass)
- Q-Star XL MS/MS System (ABI)
- Beckman Proteome Lab PA800
- Beckman LIF488 Laser module
- Beckman P/ACE MDQ CE
- Agilent HP3D CE & CE / MS Electrospray Interface
- Trace DSQ MS with GC (Thermo)
- UK melting point calibration facility (40°C to 260°C)
- Bruker 400 and600 MHz NMR
- Mettler Toledo 823e differential Scanning Calorimeter
- Metrohm oven coulometric Karl Fischer titrator
- TA Q5000 TGA coupled to Pfeiffer Thermostar MS
- Harvard Apparatus 22 syringe pump (double)
- FP-920 Fluorescence detector (Jasco)
- SPD-6AV UV-Vis Spectrophotometric detector (Shimadzu)
- Ion trap - benchtop Deca XP (Thermo)
- pH meter Philips PW9420
- Agilent QTOF
- GC-MS (Agilent)
- MALS (Agilent)
- 6490 LCMS triple quad (Agilent)
- Synapt (Waters)
- Q500IR TGA with Pfeiffer Thermostar mass analyser (TA)
- 823e DSC (Mettler Toledo)
- 774 oven and 831 Karl Fischer Coulometer (Metrohm)
- DL50 autotitrator (Mettler Toledo)
- Plus assorted Nano LC, HPLC, uPLC and multidimensional GC chromatography equipment
We also have access to a 600MHzNMR system.