Our research areas
Our world-leading research covers the areas of diagnostics, advanced therapeutics, safety and security. It underpins some of the biggest challenges of our time, including neurodegenerative diseases, cancer and antimicrobial resistance.
Our core research involves performing high accuracy measurements with known uncertainties.
We play a leading role in standardisation of measurements across the world so that, for example, a medical test result obtained in London can be compared directly with test results from hospitals in Sydney, Seattle or Shanghai.
We provide traceability for routine chemical and bio-measurements within the UK in order to support comparison of measurement results between laboratories, support product development and help support current regulation.
Our novel research programmes advance emerging areas of measurement science and underpin developing regulation.
- improving current clinical diagnostics and technology transfer
- supporting the development of future diagnostics, including precision medicine and point of care testing
- improving the safety and efficacy of (bio)pharmaceuticals
- improving the safety and efficacy of advanced therapy medicinal products (ATMPs)
Safety and security
- food authenticity and safety
- environmental protection
- renewable resources
- forensic science and border control
- consumer safety