- Closing Date:
- 20 Dec 2017
LGC provides a range of measurement products and services which underpin the safety, health and security of the public, including reference materials and proficiency testing, genomics solutions, services and instrumentation, and expert sample analysis and interpretation. Our customers are across a number of end markets including Pharmaceuticals, Agricultural Biotechnology, Food, Environment, Government and Academia.
As the UK’s designated National Measurement Institute for chemical and bio measurements, the Organic Analysis Team delivers research and development projects and provides high accuracy measurement services.
The main function of the role will be to develop multi-platform approaches to deliver high accuracy purity measurements for the quantification and characterisation of (bio)organic molecules in support of the UK’s industrial and societal needs. The Organic Analysis Team has a broad range of separation techniques, mass spectrometry and NMR platforms to deliver state-of-the-art analytical methodology capability.
This is an excellent development opportunity for a candidate looking to build their career in analytical science, working with recognised experts. The role requires an analytical scientist who will contribute to the successful delivery of research and development projects. You will be expected to promote your achievements with appropriate scientific publications, reports and presentations.
Knowledge, Experience and Technical Skills:
- Development and validation of NMR, LC-UV, LC-MS and LC-MS/MS methodology for the identification and quantification of (bio)organic species.
- Is an advocate for new analytical technology and process improvements and their implementation.
- Independently carry out practical work, maintaining written records in accordance with quality policies and data reviewing activities.
- Work closely with customers and maintain a focus on timely delivery to meet agreed deadlines.
- Help maintain ISO17025 calibration facilities to deliver high accuracy measurement services as part of our NMI role in disseminating SI traceability in organic measurement.
- Assist in the maintenance of laboratory instrumentation and provide support across the team for instrumental trouble-shooting and optimisation.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
To apply, please forward your CV to email@example.com
- PhD degree and post doctoral experience in the field of NMR spectroscopy or mass spectrometry of (bio)organic molecules (or relevant industrial experience).
- Experience with chromatographic techniques and their application to large molecules.
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of organic chemistry and compound characterisation.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to accurately record observations, data and conclusions during experimental investigations.
- Enthusiastic and innovative scientist with a strong desire to develop their own technical skill set.
- Experience in operation and maintenance of a range of analytical instrumentation.
- Good communicator who is able to engage effectively with stakeholders.