- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2018
LGC provides a range of measurement products and services which underpin the safety, health and security of the public, including reference materials and proficiency testing, genomics reagents and instrumentation, and expert sample analysis and interpretation. Our customers are across a number of end markets including Pharmaceuticals, Agricultural Biotechnology, Food, Environment, Government and Academia.
The Production Department at LGC Standards in Manchester, NH produces an extensive line of analytical single and multi-element reference standards both in oil and aqueous matrices. Our standards are used for AA/GFAA, ICP, ICP-MS, IC, XRF, RDE, UVF, wet chemistry techniques, and QC applications. We are ISO 9001, ISO 17025, and ISO 17034 accredited.
The main function of this role is to prepare concentrated elemental standards from raw materials and produce aqueous and metallo-organic reference standards in a clean and safe lab environment.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Prepare aqueous and/or organic elemental concentrates from raw materials maintaining a high level of purity and efficiency
- Prepare aqueous and/or organic stock and custom products per QSPs
- Set-up, operate, and maintain a variety of laboratory equipment (reactors, high shear mixers, balances, etc.) and arrange for vendors to provide maintenance when necessary
- Review and approve custom quotes by understanding the chemical interactions of the elements requested
- Perform process development as needed to improve current product offerings
- Assist R&D with process development of new products including preparing master worksheets and creating documented procedures
- Train new/temporary staff
- Verify Calibration of balances and volumetrics
- Keep workspace clean to minimize hazards and contamination
- Place internal orders for consumables to maintain lab stock and an accurate warehouse inventory
- Clean labware per instructions
- Exemplify the LGC core values on a day to day basis
- Perform other duties as required
- BS in Chemistry or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Strong practical laboratory skills
- Able to work as an effective part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail, high levels of concentration, accuracy, and reliability in all aspects of work
- Able to self-manage a flexible workload, show good organisational skills, and the ability to work within deadlines
- Desire to provide high quality products to customers within a specified timeframe
- Demonstrate initiative and adopt a pro-active attitude to continuous improvement with respect to scientific practices, quality and efficiency
- Excellent verbal and communication skills and attention to detail
The job holder will be able to demonstrate the following behaviors in line with LGC’s values:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee may be asked to occasionally lift up to 60 pounds
- Lifting with mechanical assistance up to 400 lbs. is required
- Standing for several hours at a time, frequent reaching, bending, stooping, squatting, pushing, and pulling of parts and part containers can be expected
- Occasional use of respiratory protection utilizing a full face respirator may be required
- The individual will experience repetitive motion due to use of computer
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Typical lab environment that includes exposure to a variety of chemicals that require personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with shields, gloves, full face respirator, etc.
To apply, please forward your CV to Cheryl.email@example.com